Friday, June 12, 2015

Session notes:

A man who often attends my group is a great piano player.  I've heard him play many times before and after sessions.  He has been unwilling to play for almost a year, but I keep asking!  Recently, he came into the room after I had started my session and began playing piano.  A few women in the group asked him to stop, but he continued.  I was introducing my Hardanger fiddle, so I took it to him and asked if it was okay that I play.  He nodded but kept playing!  He was playing a hymn in Bb, which is the tuning for my fiddle, so I tuned as he played.  I went back to the piano one more time and asked if he would stop once the hymn was done.  He said yes and eventually stopped.  He stayed in the room but kept his back to me the entire session, although I did hear him humming some songs!

I wrote earlier about a woman who folded her hands during "What a Friend."  At subsequent sessions, she has been holding eye contact with me and also watching as I play.  She seems to recognize me as I'm setting up and playing.

I observed a couple cuddling on a sofa near my session last month.  They didn't join us but seemed to be somewhat engaged in the songs.  As I left, they both commented on the music and thanked me.  At my session two weeks later, they joined the group and participated.  I nearly learned some "off color" words to Red Wing from the man, but he stopped after the first line.  I thanked him for not sharing the entire verse!

A woman was quite restless at a session earlier this month.  She got up from her chair several times, sometimes sitting again, other times walking away for a while before returning.  As I played "Love Lifted Me" I noticed her crying and had someone bring a tissue when the song ended.  She is usually very aloof but did respond to my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment